Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Visit from David

Yesterday I wrote about how I relied upon my friend David, an antique dealer, for assistance in pricing some of the items I purchase at garage sales. Well, he paid me a visit last night.

In preparation for his visit, I moved all my finds to the kitchen table so he could examine them. I ended up with about a dozen items for him to look at. Visions of dollar signs danced in my head.

I was most interested in his opinion as to the value of the two bowls I had purchased for $2.50 each last week. After looking at them carefully, he said they were both Carnival glass, a bowl from the depression era, and an ornate dish, made later. David estimated the value at each between $25 and $35 each.

David also appraised two ceramic planters at about $5 each. An old pictured titled "The Fisherman" was worth $10 at least. And some early metal roller skates with leather straps and a key were worth about $10. I had paid $1 for each of these items. I had also purchased a shoebox containing 10 early Christmas bubble lights and a dozen small Christmas bulb lights. He suggested I price the bubble lights at $30 and maybe $5 for the bulbs. I had paid $3 for the entire box of lights.

The big surprise of the night was the value of an old lamp I had purchased. I will write about that in my next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment