Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ask An Expert !

I do know a lot about garage sales and selling, but when it comes to pricing some vintage or potentially valuable items, I ask my friend, David, for advice. He is an antique dealer and can easily distinguish what is valuable from what is not. And he also knows other dealers, if he is stumped, and has tons of books on every aspect of collectibles. I have learned a great deal from him.

As I prepare for my first lawn sale, I have a box of items that I want David to look over. For example, last weekend I purchased 2 old bowls for $2.50 each. The seller told me that everything came from a relative's farm in Wisconsin and was at least 50 years old. The bowls I purchased are in mint condition and have to be worth much more than I paid for them. I suspect that the seller made a major financial error with incorrect pricing by not having a knowledgeable person look at the offerings first. That's how and why you find bargains at garage sales.

Bottom line: If you are going to sell something that may be valuable, do your homework before putting a price tag on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment